According to history the oldest written recipes by mankind were for the making of beer. So with that in mind it makes sense to match my simple to make recipe of the month with a great beer style.
Why prawns? Prawns are an excellent source of high-quality protein and several important vitamins and minerals that support your good health. Prawns are also low in calories and contain no carbohydrates, pair this with a big healthy green salad which provides excellent sources of fibre, and we have a complete dish which the body will thank you for.
I am however not suggesting you now drink copious amounts of beers to accompany this dish but rather that enjoying a few great beers with great food made with love are ok.
Picture this – Pilsner a light colour with hints of herbal or floral spice and a clean zesty refreshing crisp beer finish. This beer style is perfect for so many dishes but my personal match is with Prawns and Mango Salsa. Perfect as we head into summer and sunny days. Here are three of Deb’s Pilsner picks.
- Temple Powerstance Pilsner
- Weihenstephaner Pils
- Hawkers Pilsner
- Green Prawns 500gms
- 1 x Large Mango
- Fresh Mint Chopped
- Lime Juice Squeezed
- ½ to 1tsp Sweet Chilli Sauce (optional and to taste)
- Spinach or Rocket (as side salad or create any other green based salad – half the plate should be salad)
Method – (10 minutes to prepare and eat)
- Prepare the green prawns first (500gms for 2 people if a main course or 4 people for entree size) Peel, de-vein etc.
- Next get a large mango chop up into bite sized pieces, mix in a chopped handful of mint, a squeeze of lime juice and if want to add this, a 1/2 to 1 tsp of sweet chilli sauce for a bit of kick. Mix carefully together. Please of course feel free to add baby spinach or rocket for added fibre.
- In a frying pan lightly oiled, pop in the green prawns, season with a little salt and pepper, cooking time will only take a few minutes
Serves 4 Enjoy!
The next ‘Drink Beer Be Healthy’ Programs are starting soon, so book your place today. Get mind & body ready for summer and Silly Season!
Have a group of friends or work colleagues that would like to be healthier and still enjoy a beer or two, there is a way?
Ask Deb at Live Life You about her ‘Drink Beer Be Healthy’ program. Available to be run at your workplace or currently running at Temple Brewery, 122 Weston St, Brunswick East Victoria.